This website was run on a volunteer basis from 2008-11. Unfortunately It is no longer active due to other commitments.
Skip navigation

TPA to live rent-free among right-wing friends

(Cross-posted to Liberal Conspiracy)

In a recent interview TaxPayers' Alliance chief executive Matthew Elliot claimed he is “not sure which party we are closest to”. Alas this sudden outbreak of openmindedness doesn’t seem to have lasted long.

The TPA has announced it’s moving to plush new offices in Tufton Street, close to Westminster. It boasts that its neighbours include Big Brother Watch (unsurprisingly – as Big Brother Watch is pretty much the TPA), Civitas, the Conservative Cooperative Movement, the New Culture Forum, the Centre for Policy Studies, and the Nothing British campaign among other right-wing groups.

TPA campaign director Mark Wallace said:

“As well as providing a wonderful focus point for like-minded campaigners and think tanks to share ideas, the new office also has excellent facilities which will allow us to host our own press conferences and other events, further adding to our influence and impact.

“We are of course extremely grateful for the invaluable support provided to us by Avanta, and their Chief Executive David Alberto, who have generously been providing us with free office space since last summer. Their help has been crucial to the successful expansion of the TPA. This new project is the brainchild of Midlands businessman Richard Smith – who is a TPA supporter and donor to various other think tanks – and will allow us to build massively on the successes of recent years.

“The synergy between the groups will make 55 Tufton Street a major powerhouse in Whitehall and the versatility of the building will allow us to develop cutting-edge campaign techniques in the coming year, including web broadcasting.”

At least the TPA has departed from its normal policy of secrecy to tell us who is funding the move: “Midlands businessman Richard Smith”.

Could this be the same Richard Smith who sits on the TPA’s West Midlands Council and is a member of the somewhat opaque Midlands Industrial Council that worked alongside Lord Ashcroft to bankroll Tory candidates in the 2005 election?

Posted by Other TPA at 01:52pm on 2 March 2010
Tags: Not yet assigned

Share More ways to share

Comments

Matthew Elliott, Chief Executive of TPA is very vocal in his criticism of how much various people earn.  On their website there is no reference to how much he and his fellow directors earn themselves and perhaps he should come clean about his own pay and perks.

Posted by John Priestman at 01:19pm on 1 April 2010

I think you’ll find that Matthew Elliott is very vocal in his criticism of how much public sector people earn…..not ‘various people’.

He can be critical because he (and I, and you) pay their wages.  If it is too much, it is a waste.

Seems pretty basic to me.  Does it not to you?

Posted by David at 08:31pm on 4 April 2010

As a donator to the Tax Payers Alliance, he has used my money as well as others donors’ money and so I think we should be able to see their accounts and how much they pay themselves.

Posted by John Priestman at 08:36pm on 4 April 2010

If you and I as taxpayers have a right to know public sector wages, therefore if we don’t pay taxes we don’t have a right to know? (Obviously the non-domiciled have no right to know.)

I have contributed to Tesco profits for 35 years, should I know exactly what people earn at Tesco?

I own shares in Standard Life, should I know what Standard Life employees earn?

Posted by paul at 10:56pm on 12 April 2010

“Why should we know (or care) how much Matthew Elliott is paid when we are not the ones paying?”

I don’t know whether I’m paying or not, because the TPA won’t tell me who’s funding them. Hence I simply don’t know how much of my monthly outgoings end up in their coffers.

Posted by Neil at 10:23am on 19 April 2010